Do not judge

When I volunteered with a soup kitchen, someone commented, "Ohh, ada pulak duit nak beli handphone"

My reply was "They do not have a place to call home, so the only way that they can have their safety needs fulfilled is have a mobile phone, to communicate with other people in emergencies".

When I did research with residents in PPR, someone commented, "Ohh, ada pulak duit guna Astro"

My reply was, "Some of the families are willing to spend money on Astro to keep their children at home, rather than having the kids go out, on their bikes or lepaking with friends smoking their life away"

When I worked with single mothers for a community project, someone commented, "Oh, ada pulak duit pakai handbag berjenama"

My reply was, "Perhaps, they have worked really hard to buy that handbag, to reward themselves. To give them a sense of dignity"

When I did research on the homeless and wanted to reward their participation in the FGD, someone commented, "Nak minta KFC. Lebih lebih lak pulak."

My reply was, "All this while, they have not had much choice in the meals that they have. They have always shown their gratitude to those serving them. But giving them a choice in this instance, helps them feel empowered"

When I go on humanitarian missions at IDP camps in Lebanon and Turkey, someone commented, "Ehh, kemas je they all. Pakai baju pun cantik cantik"

My reply was. "They had a life before this, just like you and I now have. They used to wear beautiful clothes. Wearing pretty clothes can help bring normalcy in their lives. What do we expect them to wear? Soiled and torn clothings? There is no uniform for refugees."

Let's not during this time of crisis, generalize vulnerable groups of people, making assumptions on what they should eat, how they should behave, what they should have.

Having financial support will encourage them to STAY AT HOME.

Because they, we, you and I need to FLATTEN THE CURVE together.

Peace y'all.

Kredit to : Hariyati Shahrima Abdul Majid

XOXO Lots of loves -H3H-

0 comments: